Who can call Mental Health T.O.?

Anyone under the age of 18 looking for mental health services or anyone who wants to support someone under the age of 18 can call 1-866-585-6486. This includes young people, a custodial parent or guardian who wants to be connected to a community-based mental health service serving infants, children, youth and families.

What if I am a mental health service provider, physician or other professional?

Healthcare and education professionals and service providers can call 1-866-585-6486 to learn about services in the community. However, we cannot proceed with a referral without speaking to or getting consent from a custodial parent, guardian or youth 12 and over.

What are your hours of operation?

Our phone lines are open from 9AM – 7PM.

Is your service free?

Yes! Our service is completely free. We are funded by the Government of Ontario.

What kind of information do you provide?

We provide information about:

  • ​​​​​​​Mental health services in your neighbourhood or in other parts of the city
  • Crisis lines
  • Self-help groups
  • Distress centres
  • Family services
  • Information and referral to other services

Do I have to give my name?

No, you don’t. However, if you want us to make a referral for service, you will need to provide your name and other identifying information.

Do you have call display?

We do have call display however we will not record your phone number without your permission. Call display is enabled in case we believe someone is at risk of immediate self-harm.

What can I expect when I call?

An experienced mental health worker will ask you a short series of questions. These questions are designed to help the worker decide what type of service and agencies that will best help you. If you agree, the worker will contact the most appropriate agency and they will follow-up with you directly.

Who will I speak to when I call?

When you call you will be connected to a qualified and experienced mental health worker. We are here to listen, provide support, and help you with information, not to judge.

What if I need counselling right now?

If you are in need of a counselling session right now the mental health worker is able to connect you with an available therapist at one of the What’s Up Walk-In® clinics that day.

Do you provide counselling?

We offer information about where to receive services in your community and will arrange for a referral to that service. We do not provide counselling over the phone but are able to connect you to a therapist at the what’s up walk in clinic for a telephone or video session.

After I speak to the mental health worker, how long will I wait to speak to the community mental health agency that I am referred to?

The mental health worker will send your referral information to the appropriate agency the same day you call us. You can expect to hear from the referring agency within five (5) business days to arrange a time to complete a more thorough assessment.

If you are calling about a counselling session through the What’s Up Walk-In® Clinic you can expect to connect with a counsellor the same day.

What if I need help in a language other than English?

When your call is answered there is an option to select help in French. If you select this option, you will be connected to Centre francophone de Toronto and they will follow the same process to connect you to service in French. At this time, we do not have the ability to provide services in languages other than English or French. Please ask a family member, friend or other person you trust who can speak English to help you with the process.

I’m not ready to get help, can I still call you?

We’re happy to talk to you, even if you’re just looking for general information. No question is too small. We’re here to help.

What can I expect if I am calling for a counselling session from the What’s Up Walk-In® Clinic?

An experienced mental health worker will ask you a short series of questions. These questions are designed to help the worker connect you to the right What’s Up Walk-In® Clinic. If you agree, the worker will contact the most appropriate agency and a counsellor will follow-up with you directly.